Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hello fellow Hedge Pig lovers

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hello fellow Hedge Pig lovers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I live in a quiet village and hedge pigs have been regular visitors in my garden. So, so many few than not so long ago. But, but, many more in this last 2 years.

Anyhoos, Ms. Tigger was scavenging on the right doorstep, chicken carcass that my cats made a mess of. I thought to myself: “You don’t look very big. Does your mum know you’re out?”. I picked her up and put her on my scales, she is 352g. That’s not enough to over winter.

I plan to have a chat with the lovely peeps at out village vets but what are the rules and thoughts of my fostering her for the winter?

Much love to all critters and living stuff xx

I have placed her in a cardboard box, with water and cat fud, and cover box with a tea towel. I will also give her some shredded newspaper to make a nest in.

Nic

Hi OneThinBloke

My advice would be to contact your local carer/rehabilitator (contact details available from BHPS 01584 890801) to see if they can take the little one in for over-wintering. If they don’t have the space for any more, they will be able to give you advice about how to care for the little hog. Well done for rescuing it. Let us know how you get on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog