Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hello !

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hello !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone,

It’s been a while since I posted on here, had a busy few months with selling our house and buying another one !
    Happy to say we’ve had lots of visits from hedgehogs over the summer and autumn .

I never did see any more of the one with the string tangled up on him but found a badly injured hog curled up on the grass during the day a few weeks ago. At first I thought it had died but on closer inspection it was still alive. The SSPCA came out and said it was probably a strimer injury (it’s tummy was cut open with its intestines hanging out) . I’m sure they would have put it to sleep 😢. It was really upsetting to find such a badly injured hog . I don’t think he was one of my regulars as the same three are still visiting , don’t know where he came from .

The hogs are happily visiting regularly , twelve hours of feeding the last few nights, they really are getting stocked up for winter !
    Good news too, the couple who are buying our house are keen to keep feeding the hogs and the guy seems to like hedgehogs as much as me 😂 . Good to know the hogs won’t be neglected after we move, although I suspect they will have started to hibernate by then.
    I’m planning on taking one of the hedgehog boxes to the new garden ( I took it away over the summer so the hogs wouldn’t get used to it ) and hope I get some visitors in the Spring . Plenty of rabbits and squirrels in the new place as there’s lots of trees, crossing my fingers there’s some hedgehog around too.

Bye for now ☺️

Nic

Hi Gr8mums

Lovely to hear your news and that there will be someone keeping an eye out for the hogs when you move.

So sorry to hear about the strimmed hog. I hate even the sound of strimmers. I have had two hogs turn up here with strimmer injuries – the first was put to sleep, but the second survived thanks to the dedication of the lady at the wildlife hospital and is now back home. She is lucky to be alive. Both had their injuries roughly the back of their necks, but I imagine if the hog wasn’t rolled up at the time, it wouldn’t have a chance. It must have been really upsetting finding the poor thing. I do, so wish that people would check for hogs before they strim, or mow, for that matter.

Your new house sounds, lovely. Fingers crossed, indeed, for some hogs as well as the rabbits and squirrels.

Oh I absolutely hate strimers too.
    Over the summer the council here stopped cutting the grass so often, so it was getting very long. Great hiding place for Hedgehogs and other wildlife. Only problem was when they did decide to cut it with those massive big machines , they killed a wee hog which I found lying in the most awful condition. I don’t think I will ever forget the look on its wee face , stuff of nightmares .
    I hope next year they don’t do that again, plenty of people complained about the long grass so I think they will be cutting it more regularly again.

Hello to all

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog