Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We have had a mother and hoglets nesting in our garden. We first saw the mother about 3 weeks ago out and about during the day, and she more and less seemed to follow the same routine coming out daily at approximately the same time (late afternoon/early evening).

A week ago we discovered her nest and were careful not to disturb anything. We continued to observe her from a distance coming and going this week, and we discovered that there are hoglets in the nest.

The mother left the nest yesterday at about 1pm, which is far earlier than she ever did before. We have been checking each morning to see if she was back in the nest, except for this morning when she had not returned.

I am now a little concerned as it’s over a day since I saw the mother leaving the nest and I haven’t seen her since. While pottering in the garden today I heard rustling and the hoglets are starting to wander. The nest is in a heatherbed and it is a little exposed. There are too many twigs/branches in the way for them to get all the way out, but all 4 of them were outside of the nest entrance. They have since made their way back inside.

Could the mother just be at the very back of the nest and if so would she have let all the hoglets wander out? Whenever we have seen her in the nest she lies on her side to block the entrance while feeding. I’ve seen sometimes mothers take a break when their hoglets are starting to get their teeth, but is it usual for her to be gone for over a day? I don’t want to disturb anything incase she does come back, but don’t know the best course of action! When the hoglets were outside the nest they appeared to have their eyes open and a good amount of fur, although some of their spikes still looked white. I am a total amateur in regards hedgehogs so any knowledge I have is purely from google. Just trying to figure out if there is a cause for concern! Any advice appreciated, can’t bear to think of anything happening to the four little hoglets 🙂

Nic

Hi Gardner24

From what you’ve said, things don’t sound quite right.

If you ring your local carer/rehabilitator (as soon as possible) you can explain more fully and take their advice. If you don’t already know them, you should be able to get the number of your nearest ones by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801. I believe that number is covered by volunteers out of hours.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

A little update – phoned our local rescue centre and they advised to bring them in. There were 5 in total and mother had still not returned, which made 2 full days of the hoglets alone.

The centre removed a couple of fly eggs but they were of healthy weight. Now hopefully getting some care and attention.

Nic

Well done Gardener24! Glad you managed to get them some help. Fingers crossed for them all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog