Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Help needed to catch injured hog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Help needed to catch injured hog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi just reviewing last night camera activity and there was a hog with a band around it’s middle. It was moving freely but the band looked tight. Any ideas how to trap him if he comes tonight so I can cut the band?

Hi,
    I had a hog who was tangled up in some string earlier on in the summer. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to catch him, despite sitting up all night and watching for him for a week. It might work if you put some sort of house near by the food. Even a box with some hay in it, it might tempt him to nap in the box and you could check in the morning and see if he’s inside.
    If his injury is bad it might be best to get him seen by a vet or hand him into a rescue , he might need some antibiotics or have a deep wound that you can’t see.

Good luck

Nic

Hi Emmadale

Not sure that a hog would go into a new box, although you might be lucky. But I suspect you might need to be a bit more pro-active. If it isn’t raining (like it is here) and you know roughly what time the hog turns up, you could try sitting quietly near where you feed the hogs. I have done that before just to watch them (put my feet on a footstool) and they didn’t seem to notice I was there. Then you can scoop the hog up and put it in a box (or pet carrier). I would have one ready with either torn up newspaper or a small towel for the hog to burrow under. Newspaper on the bottom as you will need to provide food and water which the hog will inevitably spill. They are excellent at escaping so be aware of that.

I agree, I would get the hog checked out by a hog carer/rehabilitator. You can find the contact details of your nearest one from BHPS 01584 890801. If possible I would contact them before you catch the hog and take their advice about what to do.

You might also like to contact your local Post Office sorthing office and remind them of the dangers of dropping rubber bands. I believe they do encourage their Post-people not to drop them, but a reminder may not go amiss. A photo of the hog might be useful.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog