Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Help! New to all of this

Home Forums Champions’ chat Help! New to all of this

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

So I moved into my new house at the beginning of May and have never seen any hedgehogs in my garden until now. Around a week ago I saw a hedgehog in my garden during the day she was picking grass and then going into a hole under part of my decking.

I haven’t seen her/him again during the day could she be pregnant If a girl or had them if she now isn’t coming out during the day?

I went out and bought dry and wet cat food straight away to put out for her/him. She/he will not eat wet food so have just been leaving dry out and she always eat the whole plate i leave out.

Now tonight I’ve looked out my widow and saw that there is another one very much smaller than the original one but is definitely not new born as it looks like a grown up one just smaller.

They seem to both be going under my decking and was wondering if they would both sleep in there together even though I read that they don’t really stay with others.

Is there anything I can do for them? Or if she is pregnant if there anything I should know if I find one of the hoglets? I’m worried because there is a few cats in the street too.

Thanks in advance for any help ☺️

Hi, Hanny44!

First off, don’t panic! I know it’s overwhelming to start off with but you’re doing everything right.

Next, don’t worry about the cats. Cats rarely bother hedgehogs. I have three and they were scared of the hedgehogs, even when we had a nest with tiny babies. The only problem most people have with cats is they will eat the food left out for the hedgehogs.

How big is the small one you’ve seen? You wouldn’t have seen a newborn in any case, as they don’t come out of the nest until they’re a few weeks old. Either it is a baby belonging to the other hog you have seen, which is possible, if it’s very small and just started coming out, or it is a juvenile that is just hanging around. Possibly both- it could be the adult hog’s offspring from earlier in the year. Either way it is highly unlikely to present any problems for the other hog. I had someone else’s half grown juvenile hanging around when the babies were little, and they all got on famously.

You are correct in that they don’t usually stay with each other, but there are exceptions to this. One is obviously mother hog with babies. The other is if they are nesting in a large area, like under a shed or decking, they will have separate nests within the larger area. There have even been reports of two hedgehogs setting up separate nests in hedgehog houses, although that is unusual. I can’t see any problem with them both sleeping under your decking.

It’s great that you are leaving food out for them and you are leaving the right food. If it’s regularly getting finished, you could leave out a little more, they have big appetites for such tiny creatures. Are you leaving water as well? That’s important, as sometimes it’s difficult for them to find water. I found mine didn’t care for tap water and the rainwater was more popular- I suppose it’s what they are used to.

As for potential babies, it is possible that she may be expecting or already has a nest full of hoglets. It’s not the ideal time but they can and do have second litters later in the year. Unfortunately there’s no way to tell for sure until you see them come out. They will usually stay just outside the nest for the first few days, then start wandering all over the garden. Just keep an eye out, but there isn’t anything specific you need to do, they sound like they are pretty happy. If you become urgently concerned about one of them, you can call BPHS for advice and they can help you with how to proceed. Otherwise, there are experts on this forum that can help with your queries. Nothing is too silly to ask, so please chat away and keep us posted with how they’re doing.

Nic

Hi Hanny 44

Welcome to the Forum!

The thing to remember is that the hogs will have been looking after themselves before they found you and as a species have been giving birth for millions of years. So they can pretty much look after themselves, but would probably welcome supplementary food being offered as well as water available (all day every day) as well as some suitble places to nest (which you have, under your decking – probably plenty of room under there for a few of them). Water is as important, if not more so than food as they can’t always find it in the ‘wild’. (wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal for that). But don’t put the food too near where the nest is – it could attract predators.

But if you find a young one (or any hog) out in the open at any time (especially if it looks as if it’s sunbathing or just sitting there) it might need help (if it’s i.e. sleeping under a hedge or bush, etc. that is probably ok – that’s where they would normally sleep in the wild). You can get details of your nearest carers by ringing 01584 890801. (Number also at bottom left of this page). You can always ring them and take their advice.

But if a hog is moving purposefully and collecting nesting materials, which it sounds as if that one was it sounds quite likely that she was building a nest and could indeed have produced by now. If so, lucky you! You could potentially see that wonderfull sight of a little train of hoglets following Mother hog! Let us know if any hoglets appear – always lovely to hear about them.

Good luck and happy hog watching!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog