Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Help orphaned hog found

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Help orphaned hog found

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

We were just walking in the sunshine and came across a baby wandering near the road. We have brought it home and put it in a box with some food and water but are unsure what to do after this.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks

Hello Paula, best thing to do is get it to your nearest wildlife hospital/carer. If you call the BHPS on 01584 890801 they will be able to tell you where your nearest one is.
    Until you can get it to a carer, keep the hoglet in a high sided box with newspaper, food (meaty cat or dog food) fresh water and a towel, in a quiet place away from pets and disturbance. If the hoglet is cold, you can also put a hot water bottle under the towel to help keep the hoglet warm. You would need to keep refilling though as leaving a cold water bottle in there will drain heat from the hoglet.
    Hope that helps but do call BHPS ASAP as they are the experts.

Thanks, I have left messages for the two carers I was given numbers for. I have put him/her in a pet box with hay, is that ok to do? I did use a towel but I’ve had to clean the crate out this morning, did toilets in there. So all seems well, eating drinking and going to the toilet. I let her/him run round the kitchen while I cleaned out, when I finished I just left it alone and now it’s gone back in and is sleeping again. Is that ok do you think?
    Thanks

Hi Paula
    Well done for the rescue – you’ve done all the right things
    You definitely need to get it to a carer – hogs have a nasty habit of seeming fine and then suddenly going downhill. If you want to keep it until spring then speak to the carer as once it’s checked they will nearly always happily let you have it back
    Hay is fine if it’s eating and drinking well – be aware they often just spread it everywhere so it looks like they’ve eaten
    If you manage to find a carer ask then if they’d like a poo sample bringing too and then collect one. You only need a very small amount so don’t worry about getting as much as possible

Well done Paula !

Hi, thanks for all the advise throughout this.
    I have just successfully delivered, him, I now know, he only weighs 200g and they said around 6 weeks old I think she said. He will now be cared for and taken through the winter by a proper wildlife rehab centre. Good ending for this little one 😊

Excellent news, well done for taking care of this little one and getting him to a safe place for the winter.
    Hopefully they will keep you updated on his progress and all being well you will see him again in the Spring.

That is great news and well done you for saving the little spikey one.
    So good to hear a happy story!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog