Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Help With Healthy Juvenile in Town…

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Help With Healthy Juvenile in Town…

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

The next nearest Rescue to me is apparently Berwick. I’m not sure how far up the A1 you are Coley, there may be a nearer one to you heading in the other direction.
    I spoke with a lady called Kay there, who was lovely. I think they keep office hours, but she is coming to meet me there out of hours to allow me to hand over the little hog.
    http://www.swan-trust.org/

Morning Tony,
    Thanks for that, I’m just down the road from you, Ellington area,
    So Berwick isn’t to far.

Nic

Hi Tony

Normally you would have been able to get contact details of your nearest carer, as well as some alternatives, from the BHPS. That information is normally available out of office hours. If that had happened, all should have gone fairly easily. It’s so much easier if you can actually speak to someone and explain the full circumstances. It seems you were unlucky on this occasion – it happens.

The minimum weight advice for a hog in the wild is interpreted, depending on various circumstances, which include whether a hog is being supplementary fed or not. In her most recent post, Stef interpreted the advice according to the criteria which she gave (i.e. If a hedgehog is getting a good food source that it is coming to regularly and in all other ways exhibiting normal behaviour then she would not consider anything over 350g needed rescuing). It is not the advice which conflicts with that of BHPS, but rather the circumstances which are variable.

Because of the nature of a Forum, other people may read the advice here and follow it without making contact, so it’s useful if any advice is appropriate to others as well. In other words, it would be wrong to assume that hogs need rescuing at 400g in all circumstances. The information Stef gave in her most recent post is very useful as it sets out clearly and concisely circumstances when there is no need to rescue hogs which are 350g or over. Stef always gives good advice and we are very lucky to have such an experienced person, in caring rehabilitating hogs, giving up so much of their time to help and advise on the Forum.

At least now you’ll have a pretty good idea of what a 400g. hog looks like should one turn up in your own garden! (Or even if you should meet any more down town.) Hopefully all will work out well for the little hog in the end, despite some ups and downs along the way. Good luck with the hand over. I hope the little hog does well and can return safe and healthy to its home range, in due course.

Thanks Nic

Not far at all Coley,

I hope your young guest does well and is able to strike out on its own in the spring.

Cheers,

Tony

Thank you,

I appreciate that their are complications and I am sure my discomfort is borne out of my own ignorance, frustration and uncertainty that I was not doing the right thing.

I will assimilate this knowledge, which I hope will help me to react appropriately if I find myself in a similar situation in the future.

I live on a hill with stepped gardens and a river at the back, and I don’t recall ever seeing evidence of a hedgehog in the garden unfortunately.

If I am a party in the return committee for the hog, I’ll endeavour to let you know.

Best wishes,

Tony

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog