Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

The wanderer returns!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The wanderer returns!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Was starting to worry as had seen no sign of hogs this year. Checked feeding box on Easter Sunday morning and dried food had all been eaten and thank you gift left! Have left cat food and biscuits out every night since and it’s all been eaten. (Have finally managed to cat-proof the box.) My wildlife camera recorded 2 hogs visiting together last year but it has now stopped working so haven’t actually seen this year’s visitors. Am worried about scaring them off so have never hung around outside to see them although am very tempted, and have seen videos of people right beside them. A large hog spent every day in my hog house from last August to November, but disappointingly seems not to have hibernated there. Fingers crossed for next winter.

That’s great news their back. I have a bench opposite one feeding station in the dark – on warm evenings I sit there quietly with a cup of tea watching them as long as you’re quiet and don’t move about they don’t seem to notice you.

One night a couple of years ago I went into the garden after putting out bird food ready for morning. It was very dark and I nearly jumped out of my skin when I noticed a shape on a little feeding platform right beside my feet. It was a hedgehog who’d climbed up and was helping himself to the food. He didn’t seem at all bothered even though I was so close, so yes, I think I will be going out to do some hog spotting. Only have a small garden, so have always watched them from inside my house. Funny how it’s always a thrill to see them no matter how many times you’ve seen them before.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog