Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hi from Basingstoke

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hi from Basingstoke

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Cut a hole in the fence last year and straight away had a Hog visit. Fed it and made a house out of scrap wood. Spike decided to sleep in it for the winter. We now have so many visit I am not sure how many as they are difficult to tell apart. Quite surprising as we are in a suburban estate. I find they eat the cat or dog food but not so keen on the expensive hog food. Of course they love the mealworms that I try to make them work for. Just finished 2 more houses ready for the winter and we are well and truly hooked on watching the camera at night.

I live on a large housing estate too and have *loads* of hogs so it just shows that if gardens are linked by hedgehog highways they will come!

Try to avoid the mealworms if you can because they don’t do the hogs much good but are thoroughly addictive. They will eat those rather than proper food so do try to wean them off them if you can. Fussy little blighters they are and will not take advice willingly.

Welcome to your own new addiction!

And mine are still coming too!! I have swapped from Ark food to ‘I love hedgehogs’ – just to give then a bit of variety!! I don’t think they care – they seem to be eating everything just now. I don’t have any adult hogs anymore – but lots of juveniles (or maybe just a couple of greedy juveniles who visit on the hour every hour all through the night!!). The ‘door’ to my hoghouse seems to be being used. It is already full of bedding – and maybe a hog who knows!! but I piled a load of leaves around it and someone has moved them and opened up the doorway again. So lovely to see them and I now have loads of short videos – almost all exactly the same but somehow I find it hard to delete them! Addiction is a good word for it!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog