Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hibernation early this year.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hibernation early this year.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I had a male and female hedgehog earlier this year from a local rescue, both born this year.

They both took in lots of bedding into their hog houses, but then bandoned them, preferring to sleep in neighbouring gardens, but coming back regularly to the feeding stations.

But then, still mild in October, first the male disappeared, followed by the female a few days later. When last seen they were very rotund!

I was concerned about them, but then I’m told by other local hedgehog carers that they too had experienced early disappearance of hogs in October. (I’m in Rainham, Kent).

I know that in normal years males can enter hibernation in September, with females maybe waiting until after Christmas, but given how mild it’s been, I was surprised they disappeared so early this year.

Mind you, everything has been very topsy-turvey in the garden this year, and both plants and creatures have been acting abnormally.

Nic

Hi LeonRoskilly

Whilst hibernation can vary a bit from hog to hog and year to year, in general males will hibernate from September and females a bit later, but pretty much from October, unless they happen to have a late litter when they may hibernate later.

There will always be some that don’t fit in with the norm and hoglets (both male and female) are quite likely to hibernate later than the adults. So some hoglets, especially if they are later hoglets may not hibernate until December and some not at all.

So, hoping that both of those had the necessary, two types of fat, I wouldn’t worry about them hibernating in October. If they had been in captivity for a while, they are likely to be more chunky than one who has remained in the wild.

The weather may affect hibernation to some extent, but it isn’t the only factor. Otherwise some of the males wouldn’t be choosing to hibernate in September when the weather is usually a bit better than later on.

Fingers crossed that both of those as well as all hogs everywhere have a successful hibernation. Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog