Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog Advice

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hog Advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

I had no shows from my regular/resident hog (which I have written a few posts about) on Sunday and Monday night.

He has been turning up each night regular as clockwork around 9pm so I was beginning to worry about him but, joy of joys, he turned up much later than normal, around midnight, on Tuesday night.

He eat his food and drunk his water as normal but then I noticed he was struggling to scratch himself with his back right leg. I then kept an eye on him and sure enough he wan’t walking properly on the leg, He was putting weight on the leg and moving about but obviously something wasn’t right as he had a definite limp. So after worrying about his disappearance I’m now worrying about his leg!

He has spent the day in my hog house and was out tongiht around 9.15pm, as was the norm, but his leg seems much better he is walking more or less properly and is scratching albeit not quite with the same vigour.

As we are less than 24 hours on it seems that all is relatively well and there is not much to be concerned about maybe a strain from a fight, maybe something got stuck in his paw that was troubling him or maybe a cut but I can’t think its a break as I doubt he could move the way he is or put wieght on the paw which is good news?

The reason for this post was I was wondering if anyone has seen similar injuries/things that may explain the limp and the apparent quick healing?

I will keep an eye on him just to make sure he is fully recovered but he seems fine so maybe a worry free night tonight!

Hi Hogmeister,

One of ours had a very subtle limp a while ago. I thought that he was ok, but then he turned up on camera one evening barely able to walk. Thankfully I spotted him in the garden the following day just before he was about to disappear into the undergrowth. The vets treated him, but it was too late, he had a massive infection, probably caused by a thorn or similar. I would keep a very close eye on him just in case; they can go downhill very quickly, better to be safe than sorry.

Hi Penny,

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear about your hog,

I will keep a close eye on him as you say and if I see any deterioration I will have to get him looked at but hopefully it won’t come to that fingers crossed 🙂

Hi Penny,
    I thought you would like to know that I spoke to my friend over at the County Council and they do indeed have a hedgehog 🦔 champion on their planning team!
    I don’t know what borough Bingham falls into but they should have a hedgehog champion who should have spoken to Barrat homes about a highway in their development.
    Deb x

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog