Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog bringing straw into feeding station

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hog bringing straw into feeding station

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi there, I set up a hog house / feeding station last autumn and have a regular visitor who has now woken up and started coming every night again. It has water and Spikes food in it, which is always eaten up. The last two nights I’ve noticed dead grass / straw in there. Are they trying to make it a nest? It’s a bit small and I didn’t think they liked sleeping in the same place as their food? I have a separate hog house at the back of the garden which I put straw in, but I have no idea if it is used! Thanks for any advice – new to this!

Nic

Hi HilaryJC

Whilst it isn’t the best idea to put food too close to a hog house being used as a nest (it could attract predators to the area), hogs (being contrary!) will sometimes decide to bed down in feeding boxes. Sometimes they will just settle down in a bare (apart from food, etc.) hog box, but other times they will take in a bit of vegetation to sleep on.

Something similar has happened here lots of times. Usually the ones here have only stayed a couple of days and then moved elsewhere. But if a hog has been sleeping in a feed box, it’s a good idea to give it a good clean out once they have vacated and use boiling water to kill any parasite eggs which the hog may have left behind.

I had one hog here who decided to build a nest and hibernate in a feed box – even though I thought the space was quite small. Luckily I managed to get the food out before he settled down for hibernation, so it didn’t attract any undesirables.

Re. the separate hog house – most hogs prefer to do their own interior decorations, so it’s best to just put a handful of material in to give them the idea and leave a supply of material nearby. Hogs have been known to empty out hog houses which humans have kindly filled for them and used the material elsewhere!

Good luck with the hogs and happy hog watching!

Thank you so much, Nic – that is very helpful and reassuring! I’ve left the grass in there, but no more has appeared so I think he (or she) might have decided it wasn’t such a good idea! I’m hoping to get some footage off our wildlife cam soon, so I get a better idea of what they are up to!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog