Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog cam recommendations?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hog cam recommendations?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

My ol’ mum has developed a bit of a hedgehog obsession – bought a hedgehog house, put hay out for them to use for bedding, out putting food and water out for them every night and has a couple of regular visitors every night. But rarely sees them. So I want to buy her a trailcam for her birthday to put near the hog house (which they are visiting).

Any recommendations for a sub £100 trail cam for night time hog videos?.

Cheers.

Nic

Hi JDPower

There are loads of different cameras and different people will probably recommend difficult ones. In general with the cheaper ones you can be lucky and get a good one, but often the cheaper ones don’t last long. I have found a few links from previous camera discussions. I can only put one per post, because the forum doesn’t like more than one link!

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/best-wildlife-camera-2/

Nic

Another link:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/hedgehog-photography/

Hope some of these are useful.

Nic

And this is the third. Hope you find something useful in these links.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/best-wildlife-camera-to-use/

Good luck!

Nic

p.s. Sorry about the typo above. It should say ‘different people will probably recommend different ones’!

Thanks. Went over budget and got a Browning Recon Force Advantage, which seemed to be well respected. Just have to teach her how to use it now lol

Nic

Hi JDPower

Well done – hope your Mum appreciates it! I’m sure she’ll be fine with it, once you’ve set it up for her. Hope she gets lots of hedgehog views on it. Although, we are coming up to hibernation, so it might go quiet for a while. Still worth having at this time of year, though – not all hogs hibernate and they do also come out of hibernation for short periods during the wider hibernation period.

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Hi, I would recommend getting a set of close up lenses for the camera. I switched from the cheap Amazon cameras to 3 Brownings about a year ago. I bought them from Wildview Cameras and they also sell the lens kits which consist of a lens adapter, set of lenses and black tac to stick the closeup lens to the camera. I would recommend using the +1 or +2 for most hedgehog footage as the camera will likely be around 1-3M from the target area, but best to experiment and find what works for your situation. The reason for the lenses is that Trail cameras are generally made for targets which are several metres away and while you can film hogs that far away the best footage is when you are only a couple of Metres away or closer.

This is just a demonstration of what Alan is has said here about closup lenses. Ok is not a hedgehog as is just for demonstration purposes. This is a 2+ lense i fitted and the camera is around 21 inches from the far side of the dish. As you can see is a lot better video and has some quite good detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aInHCsD_9uM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog