Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog family

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hog family

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, when we moved into our house four years ago I put a hog house under a large shrub in the far side of our garden. That summer I frequently saw a large hog bustling about the garden and going under the gate at dusk. Last summer I found a large hog under a blanket in the cats’ bed in the summerhouse. When I knew it was up at dusk I replaced the bed with a cardboard box filled with straw. The hog hibernated over winter in it. I wanted my summerhouse back this spring so I removed the box and put it under a shrub when I knew the hog was up and about again. I thought it would move into the lovely new box I bought it but it’s still nesting in the cardboard box.
    Over the last two weeks we’ve seen the large hog with three smaller hogs on the lawn at around 9pm each evening. They look too big to be born this year and my neighbour said he saw a large hog with three hoglets on his lawn last summer. Will hoglets stay with their mother longer than a few weeks? Last night I found the large hog and one smaller hog huddled together just outside the box.
    I also heard another rustling behind the summerhouse. Not sure where the third is nesting.
    I’m also concerned that on two occasions this week I’ve been sitting in my courtyard mid morning and one of the smaller hogs has been up and rustling about behind a plant trough. It then goes back towards the cardboard box. Could it be because mother and one hog are nesting together and the smaller one is getting too hot? I’ve put out another bowl of water for them.

Hogs frequently don’t use the nice new houses we buy them – or not for a year or so when they don’t smell so new, so just leave your cardboard box. It is possible it has babies in it if it’s stayed with it after you moved it

With regards the hog getting up mid morning. You say it’s small but if it’s last years hog it could be pregnant/nesting, but equally it could be sick and needing intervention, so your safest course of action is to speak to your nearest carer who can get more info than you’ve given here and advise.

Despite all that is said about hogs being solitary, and they are, they will often share a sleeping place both with familial hogs and other non aggressive hogs. We see more of this now as the hogs habitat is shrinking into our gardens so you are getting more concentrations of hogs in one area

Thanks. I’ll get in touch with my local career.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog