Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog herd

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hog herd

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

If a group of hogs can be called a herd?
    I’ve been watching our hogs for almost 3 years and have seen lots of interaction between them, from courting to barging and even fighting (only once though). Last year they used our hog house’s as summer retreats but as yet not to hibernate in or to have young, but I live in hope. this year I had to send one to Prickles at Wickham Market (in Suffolk) because he was very poorly. He went in at 400 grams, we got him back 8 weeks later fully recovered and weighing in at 1 kilo with name of 34, that was his intake number.
    He still visits every night along with Monster ( this guy is big and our longest visiter), he has distinctive spike markings when seen under uv light and an attitude of dont mess with me. We also have 2 of last years juvenile’s who visit in the early evening and have grown over the spring and summer and will I hope survive the winter.
    We also get several cats the visit overnight and their reaction to the hogs is a complete disregard to them as only cats can do. We also have a fox that visits a couple of times a week that has been in the garden along with the hogs and it also ignores the hogs even when only a few inches apart.
    Finally I have almost 3 years worth of videos footage has anyone got any suggestion what to do with them.
    Rick.

Nic

Hi sumohog

It’s great to hear that you are still enjoying watching the antics of the hogs after 3 years. It can be very interesting seeing what they get up to when we humans aren’t around! Just be wary re. foxes – some will attack or even kill hedgehogs.

Well done for getting help for no. 34 – glad to hear he still visits.

I know the feeling about years worth of hedgehog video. I think it is a bit of an ‘occupational hazard’ once hedgehog lovers acquire night cameras! I sometimes wonder whether it’s a bit crazy saving them all, as I’m sure I will never get round to watching all the ones I have again! I think it would probably be a good idea to only save the really interesting clips in a separate place, but I’m still saving most of them and I guess, even only saving the interesting clips would soon mount up. But if you have any interesting clips you can always get them put onto Hedgehog Street’s YouTube https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/do-you-have-any-hedgehog-videos/

Good luck. I hope you continue to enjoy visits from the hedgehogs. Happy hog watching!

A group is an “array”

Nic

Alternatively a ‘prickle’ of hedgehogs – apparently.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog