Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog-house aesthetics

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hog-house aesthetics

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi folks!
    I’ve just placed a homemade hog-house in the garden. Its made of a plastic bird-food tub. Will the look of it deter them from trying it out, or are hedgehogs not fussy about interior and exterior design?

Thanks!

Diggit Gardening, Edinburgh

Nic

Hi Diggit Gardening,

I don’t suppose the hogs will mind too much what it looks like if it does the job, but my concerns would be condensation and size. I don’t know how big your bird-food tubs are, but most of the ones I’m familiar with would be far too small for the hogs to build an appropriate hibernation nest in. But maybe you have huge bird-food tubs! Wood is a better material to use and even those are better with ventilation holes.

A hedgehog has absolutely no concept of “unnatural”, everything they come across is natural to them. As Nic said, if it does the job then they’ll be happy and they have no idea of man-made, or person-made or whatever the PC phrase is this week. 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog