Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog houses

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hog houses

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have just purchased two hog houses but the entrance holes are only 10cm x 10cm. I have four hogs visiting and I’m sure two of them wo t fit through the doors. Should I get my son to enlarge the holes. I dont want them getting stuck in the entrance.

I sometimes use 40cm Ridge tiles at the two entrances to my feeding stations. The height of these is 8cm, however the hogs are easily able to get through these ‘tunnels’ into the feeding station. They lower themselves down and seem to ‘stretch’ out in order to navigate through. Personally I would doubt they would get stuck as they will know what they can and can’t do, with the exception if they had to reverse out and the the direction of their spikes might then be a problem.

Nic

Hi jackietb

10cm x 10cm should be fine, especially if it is only an entrance not a tunnel. Hogs are very clever at changing shape to get through things. I made one of my hog house entrances that size to deter cats (it was being used as a feeding box), the hogs got in and out fine, but so did some cats!

Thank you for your replies. I’ve just checked the garden a d I’ve got two in, one in the food station waiting outside, the one outside is a big hedgie. They are so lovely, I think I have 3 or 4 coming in a night. I have a trail camera on the hedgie area and I have visitors from now till 2 or 3 in the morning and I love em.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog