Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog out during the day

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hog out during the day

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

One day, I was out walking through my village and I noticed from the corner of my eye there was a little hoglet staring up at me. The little hog looked way too small, and it was out during the day, so I quickly walked to the nearest home that I knew owned some hog biccy’s and asked to borrow some. Fortunatly, they let me have some and they also gave me a cardboard box in case I needed to move it anywhere. The next thing I did was place some biscuits infront the hog to see if it was interested in them. Soon enough, it started gobbling up the biccy’s and I managed to encorage it into the box and then I took it home. For the next day, I continued to feed it and monitor it closely. At the end of the day, I weighed the hog and at 250g, I thought that was the right weight for a hoglet that was born this year, even though I still had to teach it night and day!
    That night I released the hog into our garden and it seemed to love it! We put our garden cam out that night to and watched it playing around ad exploring our garden. 🙂

Sorry, on the bottom line I meant AND, not ad.

Lucky baby that you were walking past.
    I have dealt with 2 tiny ones recently and found this on line which guided me on the best options.

https://prickleshedgehogrescue.org.uk/how-old-is-this-hoglet/

I ended up taking them to the vet for health checks. One was treated by the vet and hopefully is growing big at Brent Lodge wildlife hospital. The other didn’t make it. (soooo sad)

Thanks for the advice simbo65

Well done Hollyhog. Keep up the additional feeding and if you notice any odd behaviour then contact your nearest carer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog