Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hog Under Guinea Pig Cage

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hog Under Guinea Pig Cage

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

I recently saw a hedgehog scurrying down the wall of our property towards the boundary at dusk. I went to check it out and it stayed still for long enough for me to identify that it had a patch of maybe two dozen blood sucking ticks on it’s back. Ticks on back of hog.

I checked online and sources suggested this was probably an okay amount if the hog didn’t look unwell. I didn’t want to interfere with it for fear of causing it harm or removing them incorrectly (I have never dealt with a tick before).

I hadn’t seen it again since and so thought it was a one off.

Today, during lunch I went into the garden and was hearing hissing noises coming from nearby. I investigated and lifted the guinea pig hutch to find a green grass nest underneath with what I believe to be a hedgehog in the middle. There was also an area to the side with several hig looking stools. I took a photo and then retreated.Wide shot of hog nest.Close up of hog in hog nest.

I’m concerned about the ticks and the guinea pigs so I have purchased some DE to ‘spray’ around the guinea pig cage and the surrounding grass area so try and kill the ticks as they drop off. I am informed that it is harmless to the hog, the pigs and my pet cats.

I am also concerned about the cats getting to the nest as it is accessible to them.

Are there any suggestions on how to proceed here?

Nic

Hi Freedom86

Two dozen visible ticks sounds quite a lot to me. I think your best course of action would be to take advice from the nearest hog carer/rehbilitator (you can get contact details of the nearest ones by ringing 01584 890801). I wouldn’t try to remove them yourself – could do more harm than good – also a hog with a heavy tick load may have some underlying health problems.

I don’t know anything about DE spray, but it’s best not to use chemicals with hogs around – you could check that out with the hog carer/rehabilitator, too.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog