Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoggie or Rat

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hoggie or Rat

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m new here and after some advice.

I’ve been feeding hedgie for a few weeks, putting hedgehog biscuits and water in a wooden feeding station.

Last night was our first night with a trail camera on the feeding station. On checking the recording this morning there were three recordings, two of my dog out for his nightly wees and one of “nothing” . When I checked the food most of it had gone but with the camera coverging the door of the feeding station showed nothing entering. I’m going to move the camera much closer tonight.

Are there tell tale signs between rats and hedgie feeding please.

there poo I guess.

Hedgegogs sometimes leave you are present in the feeding station, not always though.

No poo at feeding station but i did find hedgie poo in the lawn the other day. Had a good look round and no sign of rat droppings either.

my trial camera doesn’t catch all the hedgehogs that visit – and I’ve had two videos which I couldn’t see anything.

Watch the videos again, and there might be something moving in the corner – I did that – and I saw just one little leg of a hedgehog in the corner of the screen and it was having a good scratch.

I will, thank you Hedge Lover 🐾

Yippee!!!

Definately a hedgehog, so happy.

Now all I need to do is get the camera set in the right place, so I can see in more detail.

Nic

Hi Jackietb

Glad to hear you have seen a hog. If you wonder again what’s visiting, a good way to be sure whether it’s a hog or something else is to use a footprint tunnel. Cameras are brilliant, but sometimes miss things.

More information about foot print tunnels:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/about-hedgehogs/tracks-and-signs/

Thank you Nic will look into that🐾

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog