Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoglet has a tick…

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hoglet has a tick…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

….Hi there, I’m new to the care of wild hedgehogs – we now have four regular visitors (2 adults and 2 hoglets). The two hoglets have moved into our hedgehog houses, but one has a tick. It’s always scratching at it (see constantly on the night cam) and I wondered if I should be worried, or take the little one to the vet to have it removed?

Many thanks!

Nic

Hi Monkeysonj

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about one, or even a few ticks. Many hedgehogs have ticks. If the burden of ticks became large then I would think again. But it’s stressful for hedgehogs to be caught (and probably kept in captivity over night so they can be taken somewhere for the tick to removed) and it is always a question of weighing up the pros and cons. How many ticks would constitute a large burden is dependent to some extent on the size of the hedgehog, etc.

If you become concerned, then my advice would be to find out the details of your local hedgehog carer from the BHPS (01584 890801) and discuss it with them. Hedgehog carers are often a better place to call upon for minor hog problems than a vet. It is always useful to know where your nearest carer is in case of other eventualities.

Good luck.

Hey Nic
    Thanks so very much! We’ll be sure to keep a close eye on the little one and if more appear then I’ll give the BHPS a call as suggested.

Really appreciate your help as we continue our journey caring for these beautiful little creatures- they make us laugh everyday!

With thanks again!

Sonj

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog