Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoglet has appeared for the first time

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hoglet has appeared for the first time

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

During the hot summer I was lucky enough to spot Henri for the first time in our garden late one evening. I have put out water and hedgehog food every night and Henri has kept returning. A couple of months ago I purchased a house for Henri and it was used a couple of times but not consistently. But Henri kept coming back so I was happy, and I even purchased a trail cam so I could see Henri in and around the hog house and food area. All good 🙂

Then a week or so ago I saw Henri going back and forth from the hedge to the house, and this continued via the trail cam recordings. Henri is making a house a home!!

However, a couple of days ago I checked the overnight footage and saw a hoglet drinking from the water bowl opposite a larger hog. The worry I have is that I’ve not seen the hoglet before and am not sure if the larger hedgehog is Henri or another adult. So I have a home made (you know the plastic box house type) box half way down the garden now, just in case it is a different adult.

My question to you knowledgeable folks is, how likely is it that this is a new adult, or is it more likely that this is still Henri but now he/she feels it is time to bring the hoglet out of hiding and get ready for hibernation.

I would be thrilled to help 3 but I’m worried Henri might have been turfed out. What’s the most likely scenario?

Thanks in advance for reading through my ramblings!

Nic

Hi PeteandAndi

It isn’t really possible to say whether there is a third hog, although it is entirely possible. What I can say, though, is that newly independent hoglets often turn up at this time of year on their own. The hedgehog which they appear to be with may or may not be their Mother – they do tend to go exploring a bit and will sometimes ‘attach’ themselves to an adult, especially at a feeding area. I don’t think you need to worry too much about Henri being turfed out. There is no guarantee that because he has made a nest there that he will use it for hibernating. They do sometimes make more than one nest. But they will sort it out between themselves.

The good news is that there is a hoglet. Any increase in the hog population has to be good! I would keep doing what you have been. The only thing I would suggest, if you are hoping a hog will use a box for nesting, is that it would be better to be wooden than plastic.

Good luck I hope all the hogs do well, however many of them there are!

Hi Nic

Thank you for the reassurance and the advice; it’s much appreciated. I’ve noticed all the Brambles food I’m putting out is now being completely finished so I’m putting out 2 bowls worth and that too is gone by the morning. There are more crumbs these days so perhaps the hoglet can’t manage the biscuits in one go.

Thanks again 🙂

Hi,
    What are you feeding them?

OOPs- found it. Brambles. We use Ark but wondered if our hoggies would like a change but Brambles looks expensive. Looks like they will have to make do with ARK, haven’t had any complaints yet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog