Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoglet trafficking is rife!

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hoglet trafficking is rife!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We currently have two relatively new hoglets using my garden, they’re not “straight from the nest” and are around 4″ long so have already been about a bit, they’ve definitely left home………. until last night!

One of my regular adult girlies came in from the left side of the garden, bang on time, and headed for the food/water. One of the hoglets was already about having come in from the right hand side about 15 minutes earlier. Whilst at the water dish they bumped into each other, both went to the feeding station and later both left at the same time…… with youngster now tagging along as if he was brand new and following mum! She didn’t seem at all interested.

I’m certain that that is NOT his real mum so I’m wondering if he’s bought her on the internet or something. It’s the sort of underhand thing that my lot do.

Hi Williamc,
    I was trawling through some old video footage from previous years to get an idea of hedgehog numbers visiting in July and to see whether their current absence is normal, when I came across a few clips that back up your hoglet trafficking theory. Back in 2016, a hoglet of a similar size is constantly harassed by an adult female. It’s hard to tell whether she is just trying to get him away from the food bowl or is just very inquisitive, but she returns several times to give him the once over. He is not impressed at all by the manhandling, but refuses to budge from the bowl until he has finished. Very odd behaviour, which I have not witnessed since, other females will normally quite happily share food with hoglets. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog