Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoglet Turn Around Time!

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hoglet Turn Around Time!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Our regular female Pumpkin who herself was rescued as a tiny hoglet just over a year ago, has raised two litters of hoglets this year with the second lot being born around the middle of August. The second lot visit for their dinner every evening and are gaining weight nicely…eating us out of house and home!

Due to the torrential rain of late, I hadn’t put the cameras out for a few days until last night. On checking the footage this morning Pumpkin is suddenly looking rather round, the last time I thought this she disappeared for a few days to give birth! Could this just be fattening up ready for hibernation or could she really be expecting her third litter in the first year? Hoglets in January…EEEEEK!!! Is it really possible???

Nic

Hi Penny

Hopefully not hoglets in January! They do get quite chunky sometimes for hibernation, so fingers crossed it’s that. The males from here disappeared ages ago, so hopefully they did there as well. If she is pregnant again, you might need to explain to her that she doesn’t need to try to re-populate the whole country single handedly!

OMG!
    Keeping everything crossed that Pumpkin has been doing the same!

You said you were in the Midlands. Hope you are not in the areas of flooding.

She’s certainly having a good go Nick, but she’s only a small hog so I don’t think she’s given birth to any more than three at a time. One of her last litter became a victim to the dreaded strimmer, poor little might was in a really bad way, it was heart wrenching to watch on video. 🙁 I searched for him for a couple of days, but he never showed up again…damn strimmers! 🙁

Probably not Simbo65, Pumpkin’s a bit of a loose woman, she chases after the boys! Thankfully we live on a hill so we have escaped the flooding so far. 🙂

Nic

Totally agree – damn strimmers – hate them. Poor little hog.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog