Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoglet

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I work for an Hedgehog sanctuary and I am currently wanting to reach out to others who care and rehabilitate hedgehogs to see whether they could share any information or thoughts on a hoglet situation.

Almost 2 months ago, a poorly hedgehog was brought into our care and gave birth. We allowed the 2 weeks to pass by before disturbing mum and babies, in which to our surprise when checking the babies (at 2 weeks old), they only weight 25-30g!! Mum had been seen feeding the babies, however they were not gaining weight. We had to intervene, and one baby had a cleft palette lip and unfortunately passed away, the other two were doing well with being hand reared, eventually beginning to lap.

Fast forward 5-6 weeks later, one of these hogs is now getting onto 300g and is doing so well! The other is, today, 97g. We have not given her fluids, or are hand rearing her, so she is in fact keeping herself alive, however, she gains and reaches around 107g and then drops back down to 90g, just to do the same things again and again and again.
    I wasn’t too sure if this is a nutritional thing? Could she have some sort of development issue (of course they seemed to have at the start).

We are not really getting anywhere with research and really need some thoughts and opinions on this matter?

Sorry no one has got back to you. This does happen sometimes. When I have had this in the past I have wormed (advocate) and run a course of antibiotics and this usually has the desired effect. I would also supplement feeding with A/D
    Good luck and let us know if this helps

To add to this, although one hog is doing well sometimes the issue with the weaker one can suddenly affect the bigger one so be aware, especially if they are in the same cage

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog