Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoglets being shoved by mum

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hoglets being shoved by mum

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I first noticed a hedgehog visiting the garden in April so started putting out food and water and since then she has made a nest under the decking and had 3 hoglets born around the 12th of July.

I have put up a wildlife camera but have noticed in the last few days that mum has become aggressive towards the hoglets. If they come within a few feet of her she starts grunting and several times she has shoved them into walls and one particular time a little hoglet was sent flying and landed about a foot away. I have read that she will try and stop them feeding from her at about this age but I was expecting her to be more passive and sometimes she attacks when they are just walking past, is this normal?

Nic

Hi timt

Yes that does sound quite harsh to the poor hoglets! Maybe she is having a particularly hard time encouraging them to go it alone. Alternatively maybe she isn’t the mother.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog