Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

hoglets in care

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings hoglets in care

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Over the past week or so I’ve sent 7 hoglets off to the carer as they were very small (less than 250g). Wasnt too sure if they would gain enough weight for hibernation (have 2 hogs set up camp in hog house ive had for a few years so thinking it must be getting to that time of year).Hoping they survive in care and I get to see them again in the spring.

You are lucky to find somewhere with space, we lost one this year as the rescue was full. Also the central number gives local centres that all give the one place near us, which can’t cope. What is the point with all the advertising if people can’t get help?

Hi Deadloak,
    Sorry to hear that you lost a hog this year. I, too, have lost one of the 7 I’ve taken to the carer over the past few weeks. I found this out the other day when I took number 8 (which was, again, only 250g).
    When I rang the national number, they gave me the number to a wildlife sanctuary plus the number for 3 carers in my area. The wildlife place said they were full but would take any hogs that needed a place if I couldn’t get them in anywhere else. When I rang the carer she also said that she was full but thought that this 8th one was probably related to the others I had taken so has placed him in with them.
    it is a real shame that there’s no help available when the rescue centres etc are full, especially if, like me, you work different shifts and can’t manage the care routine they need to see them through.

Nic

Hi jack and deadlock

Sorry to hear about the hoglets who died. Sadly, even if they are ‘rescued’ it is no guarantee that they will survive. It can be very stressful for them being removed from their natural habitat, even if we know they probably won’t survive if we leave them. Well done, jack, for finding them a place with a carer, lucky they managed to fit number 8 in.

The problem is, most of the people who do that sort of work are volunteers, so what is needed is more people to learn from them and then volunteer themselves. It isn’t something everyone could do, for various reasons, and takes a great deal of commitment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog