Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoglets in my greenhouse.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hoglets in my greenhouse.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi all.

So glad I found this page. I have a family of 4 hoglets and mum living in my greenhouse, they’re so cute and funny. I’m guessing they’re a couple of weeks old, as they’re not tiny, about half the size of an adult, they’re investigating their surroundings at the moment. Pretty sure mum hibernated in the greenhouse last year.

That’s great, it’s lovely to have them around.

They will appreciate it if you leave some fresh water in a shallow bowl for them to drink. It’s thirsty work being a Hedgehog!

Nic

Hi Catherine

Brilliant news. You’re so lucky to have hoglets there already! They must be a bit older than 2 weeks – they don’t leave the nest until 3 – 4 weeks. If they are half the size of Mum hedgehog, they may even be ready to go it alone soon. They can look surprisingly small to be alone, but they still really are delightful to watch.

Good luck with them all.

Latest update. 3 of the hoglets have left to find their own territory, so 1 remaining. Sadly, mum has died though, possibly over the last few days, as I noticed flies and a horrid smell yesterday. I got my dad over this evening, and he has removed her body, that’s how I know only 1 baby remaining. I’m still putting food out and water too. Rather sad the mum has died though. 😔

I think I’d get a carer to check over the remaining baby if it’s still been hanging around mum there may be a problem

Baby is still happily feeding. I was a bit late putting food out tonight, but within a few minutes of putting the food down, baby was tucking in to it.

Nic

Hi Catherine

It would be a good idea to get the little one checked out as Stef said. If it was with Mum and you don’t know why she died, the baby could have a problem too. It would be unlikely to show it, so possibly still eat, until it got really ill. That’s the way hogs are.

You can get the contact details of your local hedgehog carer/rescue/rehabilitator from BHPS 01584 890801 You can explain the whole thing to them in more detail and they can advise you about the best course of action.

Good luck.

I’m new to the forum, we’ve had hedgehogs in the garden for a couple of years, but last week 4 young hoglets emerged from under our shed, no sign of Mum so I guess she’s moved on. They come out around midday for a while and seem to like a bit of sun, they don’t move far. I put food out each night, which gets eaten, snapped on our night cam. really pleased they are here

Hi-
    I am not an expert but I don’t think your little ones should be out in the day.
    There is the possibility that mum has died and they are looking for food and water or may be weaned but struggling with the heat. They are very likely to need help
    Please ring BHPS on 01584 890801 ASAP and they will put you in touch with a local carer who will give you advice.
    Also keep feeding and lots of water out in shallow containers so that the hoglet can’t drowm.
    Please keep us posted

Nic

Hi Carol

Welcome to the Forum.

I agree with Simbo69. Hedgehogs do not like being in the sun and if they are seeking the sun, it is a sure sign that something isn’t right.

If you haven’t already, please do as Simbo65 suggested and find your nearest carer by contacting BHPS and take their advice.

Good luck.

Nic

P.S. The following is an extract from BHPS FAQs

“There’s a hedgehog in my garden sunbathing, is that ok?

No, it isn’t. Hedgehogs’ shouldn’t sunbathe and if you see one doing this it is in urgent need of help. Please use gardening gloves or a folded towel to pick it up, pop it into a high sided box with a towel or fleece in the bottom, keep it warm on a covered warm hot water bottle (even in hot weather), offer suitable food and water (see above) and then call BHPS on 01584 890 801 for further advice as soon as possible.

IF YOU FIND A HEDGEHOG IN NEED OF HELP, PLEASE CALL US ON 01584 890 801 AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog