Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hoglets out during the day

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hoglets out during the day

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Just over a week ago I found a tiny hoglet (it turned out to be 120 grams) out in the middle of the day with no sign of Mum. I contacted the local rescue centre and was advised to bring it in. They found it to be very cold (there had been a near frost the night before) and unfortunately the poor thing died two days later. I then found, on separate days, two slightly larger hoglets (not quite 200g) out in daylight, again with no sign of Mum. I was advised to take them for checking and care to the rescue centre which I did. I am pleased to say both are doing well and putting weight on.

I am seeing small hoglets during “normal” hedgehog hours and know I should not intervene (as long as there is nothing obviously wrong with them), other than to offer supplementary feed to try to help them to put enough weight on to get through the winter. Having read on the site, however, that hoglets may come out during the day occasionally to feed I am confused about what I should do if I see one. Can you offer any general advice on this please?

If it’s out during the day and doesn’t just seem to be messing around near a potential nest with mum then it needs rescuing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog