Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

hoglets

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have seen an adult hedgehog once or twice in the front garden and didn’t think much of it other than it was cool. She trotted past me when I was on the phone. Then maybe a month later she walked from under the shed when we were having dinner. She does a route through garden into my neighbours every night.

A couple of weeks later, we spotted two hoglets snuffling and sticking their heads out from the shed! This was long after mama hog went off.

The braver one came out a few times for water we put out for them near the shed.

Do they do foraging with their mum first or do they wander out alone to forage after mum has left? They haven’t done any family foraging trips but the braver one is getting adventurous when mum is out.

Any advice would be great.

Nic

Hi Cactus

Sorry no-one got back to you sooner. Slipped through the net!

You are SO lucky to have hoglets there! They do normally go foraging with Mum to start with, but as with any youngster, I guess, they may be a bit adventurous and sneak out to have a look around! It’s brilliant you are leaving water out for them. Other than that, as long as Mother hog is still around, she will have everything under control until they become independent.

You may or may not want to get involved with leaving supplementary food out for them. If you do, I would NOT leave it near to where the nest is (to avoid attracting unwanted visitors) but elsewhere in the garden – near the house if you want to watch them. Mum might welcome some extra food if she is still nursing. Food should be either cat/dog food, cat/kitten biscuits or one of the many hedgehog foods which are now available. Always provide water nearby if you are feeding dry foods.

Good luck and happy hog watching!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog