Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hogs are back

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hogs are back

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Noticed this last week or so I’ve been having the odd visitor to my garden im quite lucky where I live there seems to be a good population of hogs around me and I do tend to put food and water out most nights even during the winter months but I had to stop for a while as it was attracting rats but I humanely captured most of them and freed them a few miles away haven’t seen any for a while now so I’m placing food out again and attracting the hogs back I was concerned they’d stop visiting so good news they have returned 😄

Nic

Hi Hostie61

Great news that there are hogs back! I completely sympathise re. the rats and hope they don’t cause any more problems. I had an occasional rat in the winter, but since the hogs have been back not such a problem – luckily! Just be careful if any rats do come back that hogs can get caught in humane rat traps – so make sure they are not somewhere that hogs could access – which you may have been doing anyway!

Good luck with the hogs and happy hog watching!

It always surprises me how hogs seem to know what time it is. However, Tiny Pudding was waiting for me when I took the food out last night. It was a cold and frosty night and Tiny probably wanted to eat and get back to his/her nest. My garden backs onto allotments where the allotment holders are not permitted to use pesticides of any kind whatsoever, so that is encouraging. I informed the secretary of the allotment association of the presence of my hogs, who often trundle about on the allotments when the gardeners have gone home for the night. She was astounded to learn of their existence, never having seen them but she has spread the word among the allotment holders and their response has been very positive, which is excellent.

Hi Cattypuss,

I’ve been keeping a log of the time that Helga gets up and goes to bed, and it’s remarkable how frequent her go to bed, and get up time, is almost identical.

Currently, she seems to get up at 20:02

I guess that will change as the season changes !

Yes, IvanB, it’s intriguing. Tiny Pudding was waiting for supper again last night at 20.15. It was another cold night but when the weather is warmer, I’m often joined by several of the neighbourhood moggies who love to watch the hogs. My own three cats are indoors at dusk but there’s no shortage of feline spectators.

hello, the first of my two (or 3) visitors used to arrive regularly around 8pm (now 9pm British Summer Time). It will be interesting to see when they arrive as spring and summer progresses and it is less dark. Here in the north of Scotland it does not get dark for long in mid summer so more chance of seeing the hogs. In previous years I was able to guess when I might see them as they were very regular. The trailcam makes it a lot easier to log the visits. The neighbourhood cats and hogs tend to ignore each other if they are in the garden at the same time – particularly now I have finally (fingers crossed) solved the problem of bendy moggies getting into the feeder and nicking the hogs’ food!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog