Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hope I did right

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hope I did right

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Just went up the garden and one of the resident babies was in the feeding station. I grabbed some gloves, a bowl and some scales and very quickly picked it up and weighed it. It weighs in at 650 grams.

Hope I did the right thing, they seemed so much smaller than that when I compared them to fully grown so it’s out my mind at rest. I hope it settles down after I’ve picked it up, hopefully it has the night ahead of it to feed with mum and sibling so it will be ok.

Nic

Hi Jackietb

Don’t worry the little one will be o.k. once back in it’s normal place again. Might have forgotten about it already. I suspect they live in the moment more than we do! The main thing is that now you know it is well over the recommended minimum weight so has a good a chance to survive hibernation. It’s quite a good idea to compare the size of that hog in relation to, say, a food bowl – that way you will have an idea of how big other small hogs are in relation. Might save you having to weigh too many more.

Fingers crossed for the little one and all the others.

I’ve got a camera in the feeding station so I will be able to compare them side by side if they’re in there together. I can identify the one I’ve weighed because they are different colours, slightly, and the camera was running when I weighed it.

Nic

Hi Jackietb

Don’t forget, though, that the one you just weighed could potentially put on even more weight quite quickly so it’s easy to forget what it looked like at the time you weighed it, unless you have some static reference point.

OK, I will try to get a measure against something inside the feeding station that I can mark. They have both been in the box together tonight so hopefully the camera will have caught them side by side, I have film of them both together two nights ago, so I’ll check that too.

Thanks for your advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog