Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap


Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Housing 2 hedgehogs together

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Housing 2 hedgehogs together

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #13203

    I’m looking for advice please

    4 weeks ago we found a hedgepig which weighed in at 320g. We have housed it over winter in our home in an indoor rabbit cage. He/she has pit on weight and it now 600g. Great!

    To night I found 1 more, very thin and very hungry, weighing in at 380g. We have placed him/her in a small cage, which is far too small for long term.

    I was hoping to find out if it would be safe to house them together or will it be world war 3? I’d prefer not to spend anouther £50 on anouther big cage but if I must I will.

    Any advice would be great

    Thank you



    Hello Jo
    I would strongly advise you contact your nearest carer to get this new one checked out. It will almost certainly have at the least a parasite burden that may need treatment,

    Regarding putting them together afterwards. The stress may cause problems for the hog you already have, which I assume you haven’t had checked over?

    Hogs in captivity will often do very well together, but not alway’s. One can be a bully and prevent the other getting food or they can fight so you would need to monitor/weigh
    You also need to sex them, It’s rare for them to breed in captivity but not unheard of.

    Do not put them together until you’ve seen a carer please


    Thanks for this

    I checked on the little one this morning and he seems to have blood, yellow and green in his poop so needs to see a vet asap.

    Thanks again for the advice.



    You are better taking to a carer as they will have the meds it needs and your vet may not.
    Do not let them use frontline on it


    Shall do my best for them xx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.