Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Housing Crisis

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Housing Crisis

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

As we rapidly descend into the depths of another miserable winter and we all start wishing we could hibernate to avoid it, we have a full blown housing crisis developing in Hedgehog Close!

On my early morning perambulation of my extensive grounds today it became apparent that Hedgehog Close (a delightful development of two bespoke luxury bungalows nestling in the Northants countryside in the corner of my garden) is now fully occupied for the winter. No2 has been occupied for about 3 weeks and it appears that No1 has now also been let for the winter since the porch is now full of leaves and hay.

We are now left with no available (affordable) housing for the remaining homeless hedgehogs who are still eating all the food. We cannot get planning permission for any additional development and so we have a full blown housing crisis unless we build on the Green Belt (aka the lawn) which we would never get through a vote in The House.

So, homeless hedgies of the parish, No Vacancies. Soz.

No such luck here Williamc, not one hedgehog in residence despite several desirable dwellings to choose from. I thought that it might be down to a ‘snowflake’ generation of hoggies who would not entertain the idea of anything without central heating or en-suite facilities, but I think I now know the reason why.

I have been very fortunate over the last couple of weeks to make the acquaintance of an extremely knowledgeable hedgehog rehabilitator who has been rescuing them for over forty years. Apparently mice to a hedgehog are the neighbours from hell and we have a fair few wood mice in the garden. As if hedgehogs don’t have enough to contend with, during hibernation they can find themselves on the menu of mice…yes, mice will nibble at them whilst they are asleep…urghhh!!! It’s a comforting thought to know that at least our accommodation hasn’t been shunned because the facilities aren’t up to scratch, it’s just because they don’t want to be eaten alive! But then it can’t be any fun being a wood mouse either, relentlessly pursued by the neighbourhood felines on the ground and the tawny owls on patrol from up above…still very cute though. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog