Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

How big is a hoglet…..

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings How big is a hoglet…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Or -more to the point, how big would one be if it was born earlier this year? I have returned from holiday to look through my 50+ video clips! All my old favourites seem to be there – including one with a bit of a limp but as the days go by it seems to get better – plus a few that are much, much smaller. I can only judge by the hole in my feeding station, which is more or less filled by my grown up hogs but the little ones only seem to take up half the space. They are not tiny tiny hoglets – which I was hoping for in an overdose of cuteness- but they are certainly much smaller than the big ones. How quickly do they grow? I am only accustomed to seeing pictures of tiny orphans being hand reared and these are quite able to feed themselves! Happy to see them nonetheless!

Nic

Hi DwarfHog

Really pleased to hear that all your old favourites were there on your return from holiday. It does sound as if you have hoglets visiting!

I never get them here until they are pretty much independent and I put it down to Mum not wanting to bring the smaller ones to a place where hogs tend to congregate. Not sure why though, as I have always found that all adults are incredibly tolerant of hoglets. Even if they aren’t their own they will allow a youngster to completely take over a bowl they have just been eating from – males as well as females.

The hoglets do grow quite fast. From ‘Hedgehogs’ Pat Morris. [when the family splits up] “At this stage they weigh about 250 grams, ten times their weight at birth.”

Whilst it would be nice to see them when they are smaller, following their Mum in a little train, they are still very cute when they become independent and interactions between the youngsters can be very entertaining. They are a delight to have around. Enjoy them whilst you can – they will be grown up before you know it and off to hibernate!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog