Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

How long before they are too old/cool to hang around with mum?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings How long before they are too old/cool to hang around with mum?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

BLT

A few weeks back I noticed I was having a visitor, so quickly set up a feeing station to discover I was having 2 visitors 1 being the mum the other I’ve named Roomie.

I’ve not seen mum for about 3 weeks now… are they territorial? is there any reason as to why she would be visiting other than she has passed?

Also this morning I noticed I had Atleast 2/3 other hoglets visiting but no older hog with them ( these two are under 5 inches head to toe) shouldn’t they still be with their mum?

Nic

Hi BLT

That’s great news you have hoglets there!

Young hoglets start venturing out with Mother hog when they are 3 to 4 weeks old. In about the next 10 days they gradually begin to go off on their own. At that stage they only weigh about 250g. (information from Hedgehogs by Pat Morris). So, at that stage they still look quite small and it sounds as if those you mention are already going it alone.

Hogs aren’t territorial, as such, but they have ranges, which can overlap. It’s possible either the hoglets have dispersed from their birth area into your area (i.e. are possibly not her hoglets), and/or Mum is concentrating on another part of her range to avoid being pestered by the youngsters. There are also other reasons why Mother hog may have gone missing, so it isn’t necessarily a sad outcome for her.

Having said all that, if you are ever concerned about hogs behaving strangely, out in the open during the day, etc. or very small hoglets on their own, you can ring your local carer/rehabilitator – you will be able to discuss things more fully with them and take their advice. You can get the number of your nearest ones by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801.

BLT

Thanks for your reply Nic, I’ve still not seen the Mother since my message but Roomie and atleast 3 hoglets are still visiting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog