Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

How much to feed?

Home Forums Champions’ chat How much to feed?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello all, can you tell me about how much weight of catfood roughly your visiting hogs get through each evening atm?
    It’s my older neighbour’s garden so unfortunately I can’t keep an eye on through the evening, but we’re definitely feeding at least one large resident male (who I was able to watch in the summer). I’ve been upping quantities from abt 50g to 150g of high meat biscuits now it’s colder, divided in two bowls, and all scoffed by 11pm now 😮
    In people’s experience, is this about the right amount for one/two guests or should I put more down?
    Def just hedgehogs btw, several fresh droppings only of the right type each night, and plenty of crumbs in whats left in the water bowl.
    Thanks very much! Kris.

Hedgehogs will eat as much as they’re comfortable with and what we give them is only a supplement to their natural scoffs, it won’t be their main source of food so you can’t give them “too much”.

It all having gone by 11pm smacks of more than one or two though especially with “several” droppings every night. Those that aren’t yet tucked up are eating a lot more than usual at the moment to prepare for bed time so you could offer them more and see what happens.

I find that mine won’t just polish off the dish in one sitting, they’ll have a bit each and then move on. They’ll maybe pop back later in the night for a bit more but they don’t ever just scoff the lot in one go.

Thanks very much for your reply and advice William.
    I’ve made the effort to make 3 trips along the road to my neighbours garden this evening and been lucky enough to I think solve the mystery !
    The first visit I saw our large boar (looked familiar anyway, lovely to see him, first time in several weeks) and on the second visit… a smallish youngster (!)… which probably means there are litter-mates visiting too, of course.
    No hogs on the 3rd visit unfortunately but I left double rations so will be interesting to see how much is left in the a.m
    And as a bonus my elderly neighbour and her visiting family have finally seen not just one but two hedgehogs in the flesh (quill?) now instead of just photos 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog