Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

how small a hole can a hog get through 6cm square is the answer

Home Forums Hedgehog tales how small a hole can a hog get through 6cm square is the answer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi all i am new to this just found out that we have a hedgehog visiting our garden something was raiding the mealworms in the bird ground feeder (now stopped putting these out over night) worried that we had rats i got a wildlife cam to find it was a hedgehog now the holes in the cage are only 6cm square but he got through quit easily see attached video have started to put out hedgehog food and going to build a feeding station and nest box

John

Nic

Hi JohnB66

Yes, hogs can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps – although, it could have been a youngster. You say you are stopping putting out the mealworms at night, which is good, but hopefully the cage is also removed? A larger hog could get trapped in it. I have read about a hog having to be cut out of one, so it’s safer to remove bird feeding cages at night if there are hogs around.

Great news that you are building a feeding station and nest box for them. If you want a hog to build a nest in your nest box, it’s a good idea to make sure that there are lots of leaves (medium sized ones preferred), long grasses, etc, around in your garden. Putting a handful of material in the box can give them the idea, but most hogs like to build the actual nest themselves.

It’s also a good idea to leave a source of water available for the hogs all day every day, even during winter. You never know when a thirsty hog is going to turn up. Wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal – not so deep that a hoglet could get caught in them.

Good luck. Hope you get a tenant for your nest box soon.

Thank you for the advice now they are no mealworms and i am putting out food the hog is now not going near the cage i have built a feeding box and a nest box find pictures attached
    feeding box

nest box

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog