Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

how to overwinter a hedgehog ??

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog how to overwinter a hedgehog ??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have a 270 gr hog, found wobbling and frail today. She has had 2 ticks removed and fluids from the vet. She is now brighter and eating. All the local rescues are full, so I am happy to try and raise her myself (I keep snakes and a parrot and other wildlife ) and I have help with that from a friend who has successfully raised hoglets before- but not with winter so close. What should I do once she reaches a decent weight -700gr? Will there still be food out there for her in west Yorkshire, if she wanders away once released or do I keep her indoors and continue feeding – or put her outside in a hutch- in the hope that she hibernates if I don’t feed for a while.

You could ring Halifax Hedgehog rescue centre, they will give you all the advice you want. They are in West Yorkshire.

Their number is 07974 309993.

I have rung them a few times for advice, and they are really helpful – if they don’t answer the phone, make sure you leave a message, they always ring back.

Thankyou, I didn’t have that number

I’m in Delph and I have room for another hoggie if needed.
    Sue 07921529030

Sorry misprint with my number it’s 07921529020
    I hope you got hoggie sorted
    Once again sorry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog