Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

How to see my hedgehog.

Home Forums Champions’ chat How to see my hedgehog.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Finally! I have a hedgehog visiting my feeding station. I hear him scuffling and moving but as soon as I turn on my torch, all noise ceases. After 10 mins of standing in the growing dark, I give up and go inside my house. How do I actually see the hog without frightening him?

Nic

Hi Prof

Pleased to hear you have a hedgehog visiting your feeding station. I usually leave the outside light on in the feeding area (whilst I am up to watch the hogs) so I can see them from the house and the hogs don’t seem to mind. I think they are more wary if a light suddenly comes on and also they can hear you. Or, you can use solar lights, which they don’t seem to mind either.

Good luck I hope you see the hog/s soon.

Hello Nic,
    I like the idea of solar lights as the feeding staion is quite a long way from any house lights. I suppose that I could move the feeding staion closer to the house…

Prof

My feeding station is only about 5 yards from the house and they’re fine with it.

Nic

The place I feed the hogs is probably even closer to the house than that, but they do have places they can escape to nearby if necessary – bit of vegetation, hog boxes, various pots, tubs, etc. It also has the advantage that if any unwanted visitors (i.e. cats) appear as well you can often frighten them away without upsetting the hogs. The cats are much more sensitive to visible movement than the hogs are.

Thank you Nic and Williamc for your replies. I think that I will move the feeding box closer to the house and hope that the hog will be able to find it in its new position!

Abi

I use a wildlife camera that takes pictures or videos when movement is detected – i find this really effective because the hogs act completely naturally around it because the camera doesn’t disrupt them. I have also wired up the feeding station with a birds nest camera which has a wireless feed to my laptop so I can watch in real time and also record the footage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog