Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Humane Rat traps

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Humane Rat traps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have a problem with rats taking the hedgehog food. I put a humane trap out and caught two. However i had to reduce the opening to about 6cmcs square otherwise the hedgehog can squeeze through. Now I only set the traps in daylight hours when i know no hedgehogs should be about

Nic

Hi Stedwomas

There has been quite a bit of conversation about rats/traps, etc. recently so I’ll add one link here: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/poisoning-rats-and-hedgehogs-worry/
    and will put another on a separate post so they’re all together (the forum doesn’t like more than one link per post, I have found) .

I’m a bit concerned that a hoglet might still be able to squeeze through the opening you are using. Maybe you could put it up somewhere that hog can’t access. Hogs are quite good climbers, but not, I think as good at climbing as rats. Hogs/hoglets may be around in the daytime, too in some circumstances.

Nic

i have never seen or picked up on my cameras a hedgehog during the day i put the traps out during the day. but work at the window so keep a heck every 5 minutes

Nic

Hi Stedwomas

No, hopefully hoglets aren’t around much in the daytime, unless they have a problem. But good that you are keeping a regular check on it in case.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog