Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

I wonder what is going on here (video)

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings I wonder what is going on here (video)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

This was in our garden last night. (I speeded up the video after about 20 seconds as it was going on for over half an hour….

https://youtu.be/fSt6FaRucPw

Nic

Hi Mr. Lucky

Not sure why this has been reported, unless I’m missing something. I think it sometimes happens by mistake. Your video looks to me like normal hedgehog ‘courtship’ behaviour. It sometimes goes on for hours, although not always conveniently on a grassed area to be easily visible. The male is the one doing the circling.

I clicked on report because I wanted to ask if I could edit the OP as I have a better version as the sound was bad on the original video. I didn’t realise just clicking on report would mean I was immediately reporting for inappropriate content with no option to say why I was reporting.

Anyway here is the updated video

https://youtu.be/mkDRuwnUwfQ

That’s great footage.
    They look to be large healthy hogs which is great to see.
    The boy looks very big.
    I wander if all that effort amounted to anything?
    They both looked exhausted.
    Fingers crossed you might get hoglets.

Nic

Hi Mr. Lucky

That explains it – the reporting. Anyway it has been ‘unreported’ now so that’s good! You can usually edit by pressing the edit button if you do it fairly soon, but that option does seem to disappear quite quickly. Also I have noticed recently that posts I have edited after posting have disappeared, so I think there may be a glitch – that has been reported.

I haven’t watched the whole video again – bit short of broadband this month – but the huffing will be the female. If you look closely (I often look at them with binoculars to get a really close view) you can usually see that it is in time with her movements. Very often the male, especially, will give up and wander off. I sometimes wonder how they ever manage to get round to having any hoglets, they take so long over this ‘courtship’. But luckily hoglets seem to ‘miraculously’ appear from somewhere.

soon as the deed has been done, he leaves and finds another woman – the male hedgehogs makes a pretty good casanova.

Nic

The point is, he very often leaves before the deed has been done. Females hedgehogs can also be pretty promiscuous and one litter can apparently sometimes have more than one Father.

so what your saying is, the mother is the tart not the father – LOL

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog