Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Identification Help Needed

Home Forums Champions’ chat Identification Help Needed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I posted a couple of photos (but I know they take a while to load) so not onsite yet.
    Trying to identify some wee beasties that often are around/in the feeding station when I check in the morning. They are about 2.5cm long, thinnish, dark coloured, bit slimy looking with what appear like a small curved set of pincers at the head.
    They are not ticks or fleas. I wondered if they were some sort of tiny slug possibly or even a type of leech?
    Not always there; sometimes two or three, the other day there were about ten.
    Hedgehog pellets sometimes all eaten, sometimes some left. I haven’t got a camera so can’t check exactly what is going on, but I am waging a continuous game with the magpies who try to get in and steal any leftover food in the early morning.
    I am worried that these creatures are some sort of pest that is feeding on the hedgehogs? If so, why are they left behind in the morning? The birds/hedgehogs share a water bowl – is there some cross contamination going on?
    Grateful for any advice. I have tried unsuccessfully to identify them online. Hate to think they might be something that is weakening the hogs. Thank you all.

Sorry! Answering my own post here! 🙁
    Just discovered an old link on ‘Hedgehog Street’ re; baby slugs. Surprisingly also found slugs are partial to dried hedgehog food. Think these might be newly emerging sluglets trying to munch the leftover pellets.
    Has anyone else had similar?

Yes, slugs love hedgehog/dog/cat food! Frequently see huge slugs and tiny wee slugs feeding. They leave a slimy trail all around the bowl which takes a bit of effort to wash off each day

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog