Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Incubators

Home Forums Champions’ chat Incubators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

In the most recent mail shot from BHPS there was a leaflet for incubators from a company called Brinsea. Has anyone used these and if so which size would you recommend for hedgehogs please. They come in 30, 40 and 50 which I guess is litres / volume. They are quite expensive and we don’t want to get something that’s not going to be much use. Thanks.

Hi Chris

Are you a carer with a lot of hogs coming through? They are a nice idea, I’m not sure it’s worth the money if not.
    I see hundreds of hogs every year and rely on heat pads ( also available through the BHPS ). You can get several heat pads for the price of one incubator. They work perfectly and are easily cleaned.
    I have made fleece socks that they slip into so they don’t get too mucky and I use fleece blankets for on top as they don’t get pulled easily by the prickles but keep the hogs warm.

If you still want the incubator then I’d say the medium size as you’d need to put food and water into it also

Hi Stef

Thanks for your prompt reply.

As a group we got just over 480 hedgehogs through our hands in 2017 (I haven’t done the figures for 2018 yet) and up to now we’ve used heat pads which have pretty much done the job. However we were left some money recently and thought that to buy 2 incubators for the group to use would be a great help, especially as you can regulate the heat for use with babies. The leaflet shows pictures but doesn’t really give any practical idea of size, hence my question.

I like your idea of fleece covers by the way 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog