Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Infrared Endoscope?

Home Forums Champions’ chat Infrared Endoscope?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have a newly installed Hedgehog House that my dad made and want to be able to check inside periodically. To ensure that no unwelcome visitors take up residence, or to see if it is occupied – without disturbing them. Can anyone recommend one?
    I have a wildlife trip camera (also infrared) that I have used to monitor the three that are visiting the garden. I’ve also set up a little feeding station for them, which has proved really entertaining.
    I’m not setting my expectations high as I know they will take a natural setting to a man-made one, but would like to do my best to help them. Thanks.

Nic

Hi KimsHogs

I think you might be better off with one of those cameras that are used for nest boxes for birds. Really they are more use for feeding boxes than nesting boxes. In the winter hogs normally fill the an entire box with vegetation – i.e. they build a hibernaculum inside the box – so you wouldn’t be able to see anything anyway! Personally I wouldn’t want to use an endoscope for a hog house/nest box in case it disturbed the hog – either nesting mother or hibernating hog. It’s probably better to aim a camera trap towards the entrance to get an idea of who is going in and out.

Good luck. I hope you get a tenant for your hog house soon.

Hi Nic
    Thanks for your comments.. It was what I expected really.. We installed the house then thought about how to check for occupancy! We do have a camera trap but it’s not there every night. We’ve seen interest but don’t know whether any have taken up residence.. I guess we’ll have to wait and see, with occasional filming from the camera trap!
    I don’t want to disturb them..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog