Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Injured Hedgehog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Injured Hedgehog

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I found an injured hedgehog on my night camera Tuesday, and luckily he went into my hedgehog house. I called 5 local rescues but all were full and couldn’t ake him in, so I took him to the vet. They were great and after x-raying him told me he had a broken leg but they could amputate (if I paid!). Which I did! I now have an injured hedgehog in my kitchen, waiting for a space to come available in a local rescue. Any advice on how to care for him would be great – best bedding to use, do I need to clean him out daily? I have brought the hedgehog house in that he went to when he was injured so it is dark and familiar for him, but it still has straw in – is this OK for him? I’ve put out food and water (and prescribed meds) and am really just hoping for the best! We’ve put him in the quiestest spot I can find, and tomorrow a friend is going to lend me a dog crate. I’m in no way qualified for this role, and will gladly hand him over as soon as a rescue can take him in – please do not think that I am doing this rather than handing him over.

Nic

Hi CatS77

Sorry for the delay replying. I’m not a hog carer/rehabilitator and was hoping one of them would spot your post. Well done for getting help for the hog.

The wildlife hospital I have taken any injured hogs to from here, seem to use small towels, folded so that the hog can burrow underneath. They are cleaned out daily. But a towel would be probably easier to clean and softer on the wound. I would use newspaper underneath as it will soak up any pee or spilt water a bit. Hogs seem to be very clever at spilling water and you wouldn’t want it to be in soggy ‘bedding’. I’m not totally familiar with dog crates, but if they have wire on the bottom as well, the hog might need something to cushion it – for the hog’s wound – so maybe newspaper again.

Hope that helps a bit, but you could always take advice from a hog carer/rehabilitator. You can get contact details of the ones near you by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801.

Good luck to you and the hog.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog