Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Introducing new blood…

Home Forums Champions’ chat Introducing new blood…

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dee

Introducing new blood

One of the hogs I brought back to my garden ( from rescue centre when I went to collect female that came from my garden ) was a large male not from around my neck of the woods. I was just wondering if introducing ‘new blood/genes a good thing ? Am also aware he, being a hog not phased by much , will make his own choices….and could be a couple miles away by now. Though I did see him feeding in my garden couple of nights ago.
    Just wondering.

Nic

Hi Dee

Not sure about the new blood thing – but sounds like a good thing – potentially avoiding the possibility of interbreeding – which must happen. I have never tried releasing any, other than ones who have come from here, but I have often wondered whether the males disperse a bit when they get older anyway. There is a young chap here – 2015 hoglet. Last year to start with he was a regular visitor, but as he got bigger his visits became less frequent and then only occasional. He was back again this year at the beginning of the season, but now, again, his visits are getting less frequent.

Then every now and then a new male turns up. Last year a new one arrived and seems to be still hanging around. Probably too vague to read too much into it, but I do wonder.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog