Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Irregular Visitor

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Irregular Visitor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi

We first saw a hedgehog about 2 weeks ago in our garden, purely by chance.

So I signed up to this website and recorded the hedgehog.

We put food out for him/her and waited the next night for them to return. They didn’t!!

However a couple of days later they returned and have appeared a couple of times and we have a few videos.

My question is: Why are they not coming everyday for there free food? We read somewhere that they can be very consistent with where they go each night, but not with us. Two day now and no sighting. Food not eaten (cat food – the best!!).

Doug

we seem to have 1 regular visitor each night like clockwork at the moment.
    camera sometimes shows other visits through the night. Same hog or another one?
    have seen 2 at once a few times so know there could be more than 1.
    So you might have a occasional visitor as they can travel several miles, just keep going with the feed, a dried food might be a better option if its not eaten each night.

HI

Ty.

He/her appeared last night!

Dried food on its way.

Doug

Nic

Hi Doug

It might take the hogs a while to include you into their regular route if they are fairly new visitors. But also males have larger ranges than females and I find are not quite such regular visitors, in general. But there may be others feeding the hogs nearby, so that hogs may not feel the need to visit every night.

Another thing, this time of year a female could be producing/rearing young and staying closer to where her nest is.

Make sure that you provide water all day every day for the hogs. That is more important even than food. The hogs may be able to find food in the wild, but not always water. I use large but shallow plant saucers, in different places in the garden. Preferably at least some in the shade.

TY

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog