Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Is my hedgehog expecting?

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Is my hedgehog expecting?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone.A hedgehog moved into an old hedgehog house in the garage about 7 days ago.It comes out a couple of times a day to eat food I leave out,goes to the toilet and goes back inside the house.It has started to block the entrance from inside the house with its body.The garage door doesn’t close so it is never shut in.I don’t know what it does at night but assume it must come out into the garden.So my question is-is it behaving like a mum with babies?

If she’s staying in the same nest and appearing during the day, then yes she may well have babies. It’s great that you’re feeding her, they appreciate the extra food as pregnancy and nursing takes a lot of energy, and any babies will need plenty of food to get up to winter weight. Keep an eye out, you might see mini hedgepigs soon.

Nic

Hi Helenafiona

It’s very difficult to know from the limited evidence whether it’s a mum with babies. It would be useful to know what it’s doing at night. It doesn’t sound especially like it to me, although I suppose it is possible. But it isn’t surprising for a hog to block the doorway with it’s body – it might just be that’s the part of the box it has chosen to settle down to sleep.

I’m guessing that you are leaving food out at night as well? Although I’m puzzled as to why you are leaving food out during the day. Is that something you are in the habit of doing? Also, where is the food – is it close to the box where the hog is? Also how do you know it’s coming out a couple of times a day – do you have a camera, which might also be able to record whether it’s coming out at night.

It may just be a question of waiting to see whether any hoglets materialise.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog