Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Is my hedgehog house appropriate?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Is my hedgehog house appropriate?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I am new to this website so I hope I’m doing this right!

I’ve recently purchased a hedgehog house from Wildlife World.
    https://www.wildlifeworld.co.uk/product/igloo-hedgehog-house/

I’ve just seen an article regarding a very similar product, which is due to go on sale in Aldi this week. It’s not produced by Wildlife World, however it is very similar in design!
    The article I saw was urging people to not purchase this style hedgehog home from Aldi as it poses a risk to hedgehog health, as they are likely to get their spines stuck in the material.

Has anyone got or have experience with this style home? Should I remove it from my garden, or do you think it will be okay?

I’ve currently got 3 hedgies in the garden, one mother and two babies. This is why I have purchased the hedgehog house, hoping that the either one or both of the babies seek shelter in the house in the winter.

Many thanks!!!

I can’t answer your question but I was actually wondering the same thing about these hedgehog houses.

I used one of these last winter and had a hedgehog hibernate in there, I did cover it with a thick polythene bag to keep the rain out and also used big wire pegs to hold it down so nothing could get in there. I am currently using it as an additional feeding station for the two hedgies and their babies that are in my two new hedgehog houses. I didn’t have any problems with it but I have read reviews where some people say hedgehogs have got caught by their spines in them.

Nic

Hi Welshhedgie

I suspect that this type of hog residence varies fairly substantially in quality. As with all these things some people will try to jump on the bandwagon and made them more cheaply, using not such good materials and not spending as much time making sure there aren’t areas which hogs might become trapped in. So I would have a really good look underneath and make sure that everything is securely fixed and generally that you think it looks safe for the hogs, before use – or before purchase if you have the chance. Maybe steer clear of the cheaper ones.

Personally if I was getting another hog house, I would try to get a wooden one with a floor. I think they would be likely to last longer, too, so might be cheaper in the long run.

Nic

p.s. If anyone is hoping that a hog will use their hog house to hibernate in, don’t forget to leave loads of leaves, long grasses, etc. for them to make their nests with. These sorts of materials should be left available all winter, in case a hog wants to move nests, or do repairs, etc. It’s best to put a small amount in (maybe a handful or so) to give them the idea and leave the other materials nearby so that the hog can choose when and how it uses them. The materials the hogs need to make their nests are equally important as having a hog house – they still need to build their nests within that hog house.

Thank you Jackietb & Nic!

I’m glad you’ve had a positive experience with this type of Hog house Jackietb, I feel a bit more reassured about using it now!

I agree Nic, I think the quality can vary greatly. I’ve already purchased the hog house but I’ve inspected it and looks like it’s in good condition, and safe for the hogs. If it doesn’t attract any hogs this winter I think I’ll look into a wooden one next time.
    I’ve put plenty of leaves etc. around the hog house for now, and put a small bit inside to start them off.
    As I’m feeding them every night, I’ll keep an eye on the hog house too to make sure theres no issues!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog